If you were hoping for big changes to the new 2020 range of Suzuki’s RM-Z250 ands 450, then you’re going to be disappointed. With the 450 having a wholesale makeover in 2018 and the 250 getting the same new-chassis and bodywork treatment for 2019, we were hoping for some serious mechanical tweaks, or at least some weight-saving measures.
The only changes to the new bikes are minor tweaks to the graphics, and you’d have to be a Suzuki fanboy to spot those from a distance. Suzuki’s official information from the USA reads:
The 2020 RM-Z250 is fresh off its recent design in 2019. The agile RM-Z250 marries the sleek, race-ready appearance of the RM-Z450 with a versatile engine and responsive chassis to deliver superior performance. Using Suzuki’s “run, turn and stop” philosophy, factory engineers have made the RM-Z250 a formidable competitor.
The RM-Z250 has always set the standard as the best handling 250 on the track. The 2020 version brings strong, usable power thanks to a center-port cylinder head. The engine is fed via a dual injector EFI system and an AMA-compliant exhaust that helps boost performance through the entire rev-range.
The twin-spar aluminum frame and hydro-formed swingarm carry a KYB-supplied suspension that includes a coil spring fork and a shock with four-way damping force adjustment. strong brakes and ergonomically shaped bodywork that helps keep the rider in control as the RM-Z250 carves up the racetrack. Back in the pits, tuning the EFI system for maximum performance is easy thanks to Suzuki’s proven fuel-coupler system.
- Light aluminum frame and hydro-formed swingarm
- Dual-injected engine delivers excellent throttle response and peak power
- KYB coil spring fork and shock have efficient spring rates and damping force settings
- Tuning the EFI system is easy and quick with the included fuel couplers
- Aggressive Suzuki race styling and race-ready ergonomics
- Center-port cylinder head increases output and throttle response
- Traction management system helps the bike hook up
- Suzuki Holeshot Assist Control (S-HAC) gets you out front
- Fuel couplers are included for quick and easy EFI tuning
- The primary fuel injector is at the bottom of the throttle body and sprays fuel at the butterfly valve for outstanding fuel and air atomization. The secondary injector is positioned in the air cleaner inlet duct so the fuel and air have more time to mix and cool before entering the engine.
- The cam chain tension adjuster and guide have been designed to reduce friction and mechanical loss.
- The compact aluminum cylinder is finished with Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) coating for durability, light weight, and efficient heat transfer.
The 2020 RM-Z450 has a sleek, race-ready appearance, strong engine, and nimble chassis continue the Suzuki tradition of extraordinarily precise handling. The RM-Z450 epitomizes Suzuki’s winning balance philosophy with strong brakes.
For controlled stopping power, a wide spread of engine muscle with high peak power, and a strong, light, and more nimble chassis that remains the class standard for cornering performance.
- Exceptional handling from the light aluminum frame and swingarm
- Fuel-injected engine delivers excellent throttle response and strong peak power
- Showa coil spring fork and a BFRC shock.
- The advanced S-HAC and traction management systems help you take the lead
- Aggressive styling blends rider-friendly ergonomics with Suzuki racing identity
- Evolved traction management system helps the bike hook up.
- Suzuki Holeshot Assist Control (S-HAC) gets you out front.
- Showa BFRC (Balance Free Rear Cushion) shock settings delivers remarkable and controlled damping response.
- Bridgestone X30 tires bring outstanding grip.
- Large 270mm front brake rotor increases stopping power and feel.
- Fuel couplers are included for quick and easy EFI tuning.
- The 449cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, four-valve, DOHC engine is the latest incarnation of Suzuki’s proven and reliable fuel-injected powerplant.
- The compact aluminum cylinder is finished with Suzuki Composite ElectrochemicalMaterial (SCEM )coating for durability, light weight, and efficient heat transfer.