You are here
Home > MOTOCROSS NEWS EXTRA > Woodcock faces surgery for broken thumb

Woodcock faces surgery for broken thumb

REVO Husqvarna’s Dylan Woodcock fractured his thumb in qualification at the Duns British championship on Sunday and will have surgery on Wednesday.

“I was on my first qualifying lap and the wind blew me off my line over the big triple and I slid off in the corner and bent my thumb right back. I thought it was all right so I did another three laps, pulled in and went back to the van and my thumb was swollen up like a balloon,” he said.

“I wanted to race but was told it wouldn’t be safe so I went to the hospital for an x-ray and I’ve split the main bone in my thumb. I’ll have an operation on Wednesday and should be back on a bike in three to four weeks.”

His team-mates Mel Pocock and Martin Barr filled the top two steps of the podium at round five of the Maxxis ACU British Motocross Championship supported by Pro Clean in dreadful conditions at Duns on Sunday.

Racing in torrential rain, strong winds and thick fog, the normally hard-pack track in the Scottish Borders was turned into a mudbath with the promoters forced to abandon the meeting with two races still to go.

The full MX2 programme still ran, however, with both Mel and Martin surviving a number of crashes to make it the most successful day in the team’s history. At the end of the day they were locked together on points at the top with Mel getting the overall – his first for over four years – on a tie-break.

Martin qualified in fourth with Mel fifth before the weather front hit, making conditions tough for the opening race. Martin gated near the front and despite a crash was able to pull through to third at the flag but Mel faced a race-long charge up to fourth after going down in the first turn and restarting dead last.

Worsening weather made race two a lottery but as the going got tough the pair dug deep and got going with Mel only securing the overall with a last-lap pass on Martin for third.

Mel Pocock – 1st (4-3)

“It’s been a long, long time since I was on top of the podium. I can’t actually remember when. In the opening race I went down in the first corner and was completely last but battled back all the way up to fourth. It was a really good, strong ride.

“The second race was just mayhem. I crashed six times. I can’t believe how hard it was – I think one lap I lost four positions and one lap I gained four positions – but I’m glad to come away with the win.”

Martin Barr – 2nd (3-4)

“It’s been a tough day but it’s been the same for everybody. Qualifying started off all right and I ended up fourth and in race one I got a decent enough start, nipped up the inside and came out around fifth. I moved through to third but then went down, dropped back to fifth and got going again and recovered for third by the end.

“In race two I just spun up and got a real bad start but I kept it going. I made a few mistakes and for the last few laps I just couldn’t see a thing – on the last lap I lost three positions which cost me the overall but it’s been a good day with me and Mel both on the podium.”

Leave a Reply